Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Kisses for Pop Pop (Truly Amazing)

     I don't talk about it much but if you know me or follow my posts on Facebook, you know I lost my dad in a very sudden and tragic way nearly nine years ago.  I won't go into detail about what happened here (if you would like to know - please ask me).  I will tell you - my dad LOVED children.  He was such a kind, caring, loving man.  Truly one of a kind. (I wish I told him that while he was alive.)  Anyway, the thought of Remi never having the opportunity to physically meet and get to know this amazing man is something I continue to bury deep inside me.  It just hurts too much to think about.

     For nearly nine years now, a framed picture of my dad has sat on one of the end tables in the living room of my mom's house along with a letter about him featured in the Courier Post.  Every now and then, Brian (my husband) and I have pointed out the photo to Remi and told her "that's Pop Pop Morlock."  Brian and I have also joked at times that maybe my dad visits Remi.  That's because, we often hear Remi through the monitor babbling and talking in her room.  It really sounds like she's having a conversation with someone.  Then, today -- something amazing happened.

     As I was carrying Remi outside to the car, we passed by my dad's picture on the end table.  Remi pointed right at it and said "Pop Pop."  I couldn't believe it. Brian was right there.  I looked at him in disbelief.  I asked him, "Did she just say Pop Pop?"  He confirmed she did.  Later on, I was holding Remi as I explained to my mom what happened.  As I was talking, Remi started repeating, "Pop Pop, Pop Pop."  So, I walked her closer to the photo.  The moment she saw it, she pointed at it and said, "Pop Pop, Pop Pop."  She proceeded to lean in towards the picture like she wanted to give it a kiss.  So, I picked up the photo and brought it even closer to her. She leaned right in and kissed it.  Wow.

     I wish you were here, dad, and I think your granddaughter does too.

10.25.07


No comments:

Post a Comment