Monday, January 9, 2017

Let's Stop the Violence

     Let me start by saying this is not exactly a political post. Not really. It is not meant to start a debate about whether guns should be banned. However, this is a pro love post. I realize love is not the answer to all of our problems but I do believe it's a great start. So, if you think being pro love makes this political - so be it.

     Let me continue by asking - who is scared to raise a child in our country today? As the mom of a toddler, yeah, it is scary. When I'm driving, or walking through downtown Trenton in the dark into work, or visiting any public place with a crowd there's always a "what if" scenario lingering in the back of my mind. What if an irate driver decides to take their anger out on me today? What if someone kidnaps or robs me while walking in the dark? What if a gunman decides to show up here today? I don't let these thoughts stop me from living my life but it is a sad fact that they are all possibilities these days. Again, it's scary. Not a day goes by that I'm not reminded how lucky I am to be alive. And, I value my life. I value it even more with a child. I want to see her grow. I want to be there for games, recitals, parent-teacher conferences, graduations, etc. Don't even get me started thinking - what if Remi were to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just the thought of something happening to her makes my heart hurt.

     Here's what I believe - It's not about banning weapons or (God forbid) declaring Martial Law. Leave it up to our political leaders to argue about what should be done. In the meantime, we need to be the change. We need to set the example. And, I think we do that through love. As parents, let's raise informed, well-behaved, honest, respectful, and loving human beings. That means we need to be informed, well-behaved, honest, respectful, and loving adults ourselves. If you're not a parent, you can still set an example through love. Think about it - we can change the future. We hold the power. I'm not saying violence wouldn't exist but I think we can certainly prevent some of it. If we work together, we can make the future world a safer place to live by raising a kinder, more loving generation...

No comments:

Post a Comment